Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Adventures of Tintin

(wikipedia) The Adventures of Tintin (also known as The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn) is a 2011 American performance capture 3D film based on The Adventures of Tintin, a series of comic books created by Belgian artist Hergé (Georges Remi). Directed by Steven Spielberg, produced by Peter Jackson, and written by Steven Moffat, Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish, the film is based on three of the original comic books: The Crab with the Golden Claws (1941), The Secret of the Unicorn (1943), and Red Rackham's Treasure (1944). It is also the first animated film Spielberg has directed.

Tintin and Captain Haddock set off on an adventure involving gold and an old legend about a ship Haddock's ancestor commanded.

Tintin is a kid detective apparently, he had a ton of newspaper clippings from adventures he did before this event comes into play plastered on the wall, which left me wondering where the comics are online. ;-D

This movie had to be the most AMAZINGLY made CGI-character movie I have ever seen. It almost didn't look like CGI, but real life! I saw a bit of that kind of animation in Happy Feet 2, but it was hard to tell which was better.

Personally, I thought the story lacked in a few areas, but it was a pretty good and enjoyable movie even if it is aimed at a specific age group (the amount of alcohol wouldn't be wise for those under 10, and the action doesn't quite seem late-teen worthy).

The parts I didn't like other than the drinking were the one's where Haddock or the 2 coppers are doing incredibly stupid things - the coppers are horribly lacking in brain capacity (which was hilarious, and also annoying at the same time) - but that may just be because I'm not a big fan of characters getting embarrassed (I seem to "feel for them" in a way, and it's not comfortable, lol).

Negative Elements:
Lot's of drinking. Haddock wasn't really sober unless he was drinking, yet at other times he was kinda crazy when he was drinking....very odd, and PG material definitely.

Otherwise, I enjoyed the movie about as much as anyone would a Hardy Boys book, since the action is similar I think. Did the Hardy boys ever use a bazooka? In Morocco? lol.

Samurai Rating: 4/5 stars or less for family friendliness, but it probably rates a decent 4 overall on the account that although it wasn't as intriguing as it could of been, the animation and quality were very good..
On a 10-scale (I kinda want to maybe switch) it'd probably be a 7/10.

1 comment:

  1. Very good review. I don't many animated movies, althought I like animated TV series, but I think I will watch this. I hope you go to a "10-scale" in my option it is better becasue it is more precise. I follow your blog now. Thanks for replying to my other comment.

    -James

    ReplyDelete

Please comment with your opinion!